I think this is one of the biggest reasons why so many online businesses fail.
It is not taking it seriously!
People want the dream of working from home and making money with an online business but they don’t take themselves or their online business seriously.
For many they work a full time job with the hopes of one day quitting because their online business has replaced their income from their job.
Others take the leap right from the start by quitting their daytime job and dabble at their online business and end up going back to work.
The dilemma I feel is the fact that an online business doesn’t appear to have an offline location to “go to” to do your job so often you don’t feel any different then being home taking a personal day playing online.
You then allow yourself to be distracted with social media, other family members that may be home, TV, etcetera.
This is where you need to set some ground rules for your self AND those who may know you are home.
Here is a quick list of things to help you to have more success with your online business.
– Set a time and space to work.
– Let others know this is your “Do Not Disturb” time.
– Create action items or goals for the day.
[I like to use a free online app called Asana http:asana.com]
– Close all distractions i.e. social media, email, chat clients.
[Set aside set media times during your day maybe 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon to check messages. Don’t leave them open or you will find yourself sneaking a peek.]
– Attack those goals and actions.
– Be sure to take breaks, stand up walk around, grab some water.
[One of the biggest health issues of working online is not stretching and keeping well hydrated. This causes fatigue and makes us loose interest and grow tired quicker which causes distractions.]
– Near the end of the day check off your action items that you completed, allow your self to feel good that you crossed items off instead of beating yourself up for not getting it all done. We often add more items than humanly possible to achieve for one day.
– Add any items to your goals or task list that you’ve thought of so you are a step a head for tomorrow.
– Relax at the end of the day give yourself some time to recharge your batteries.
This is just a quick list, obviously each of these could be detailed a bit more but maybe this will help you take yourself and your online business more seriously to achieve the dream you are striving for.