Recently, I decided to challenge myself. The challenge was originally to work on an area of my business that I'm either lacking in, forgot about, or simply have never done.
In this case it was in a way a double challenge. 1.) To create more videos for my YouTube channel 2.) Run advertisements for those videos. I thought I would share with you my successes and what I would change on my next challenge so that if you decide to challenge yourself you will be ahead of the game.
First off the challenge was mostly a success in the fact I DID meet my challenge (sort of) and I did run several ads during the challenge. My challenge was to create 20 new videos for my YouTube Channel. And I did record all 20 before my self-imposed deadline, I just didn't get them all posted (yet).
What I would do different for my next challenge:
- Don't just pick a number and go for it. You need to plan. What I should've done was to make a list of the videos I wanted to create. If that was 20 videos fine if it was 10-15, also fine.
- Give yourself ample time to complete your challenge. My mistake was that I was already 10 days into an already short month. Granted it was February and a leap year I got an extra day. Think about what it will take to do the challenge. While I've created videos before I wanted to plan a little bit. Not only did I need to pick the videos I wanted the title of each video to be words that people actually search for. This helps with creating the ad strategy as well as getting organic search results as well.
- Factor in possible challenges or interruptions. Take into consideration you WILL have interruptions and of course you still have your normal daily routines to keep up. I also ran into the fact that some of my tutorials could be pc or mac related. Do I create one video for each or encompass them both in the same video. (I'm trying either way to see what works.) If I need one for each that ads to the number of videos I do OR I come back after the challenge and create the other.
- Document where you are before you start. If it is a challenge where something can be challenged. I.E. Traffic growth, Clicks, Subscribes, weight loss etc. you need to know where you started from so that you can measure your successes.
- Think about how you can make the most of this challenge. As I started posting the videos I decided to direct traffic to my main website or a specific website that pertained to the video. Afterwards I thought maybe I should've thought ahead and tried directing some traffic to a promotional page. For example if I'm creating a tutorial on how to do something, direct them to a promotion where I can do it for them. While they can find that on my site they have to look for it.
I'm going to mark this one off as a success. While I did make a mental note about some of my numbers, it would've been good to have documented things such as how many subscribers. What were my site visitor numbers before I started to compare for increase. I'm certain with this challenge not only did I win by achieving my goal. I will also win from the long term traffic it will generate and from the knowledge I learned from the mistakes made a long the way.
I hope that by me sharing my mistakes you won't need to make them as well. If you'd like to check out the videos I mentioned earlier, be sure to check out my YouTube channel at https://YouTube.com/FrankDeardurff. the most recent videos will be displayed there or you can click on the videos link to see all of the videos I've done over time.
If after watching these videos and you feel that you do not want to perform these tasks yourself, I can help! check out my products page or the Work with Frank Page or maybe you need my full website services.
Hey Frank what a cool post. I loved reading it and planning is key. Since I have Blogged for over 10 years, I found that changing things up in the way I promote products is what will show my followers and anyone engaging with my content, I can deliver something new and creative. I have been getting more responses; I am also where the people are on Social Media. I learned about micro blogging from Rohit Bhargava and this guy is a genius. You should definitely check him out. What I try to do is try to give some attention to the different pages or projects I have going on. I’ll admit planning helps me be more attentive and it gives me something to aim for. I’m defintely going to organize and plan more, especially since I do lots of promoting. I appreciate reading your post and I will make it a point to follow you a d share your content because I have a lot of male followers who would appreciate your content and some Bloggers too.